AFL-CIO United Way Partnership â€”Â Together we can accomplish so much more.
The mission of United Way of The Plains is to improve lives by mobilizing resources to meet community needs. AFL-CIO’s mission is to improve the lives of working families â€” to bring economic justice to the workplace and social justice to our nation. The partnership between these two organizations further strengthens these ambitious missions.
Working together, the AFL/CIO United Way Partnership provides members with the opportunity to shape their community through volunteer services and a direct link to information on health and human services.
Our AFL-CIO Community Services Liaison, Mario Cervantes, cultivates relationships with union members and local labor organizations to enhance support of United Way and of the community.
AFL-CIO Community Services Program
The AFL-CIO Community Services grew from organized laborâ€™s desire to help members and serve our communities. The programs and staff are a valuable resource for our central labor councils and the AFL-CIO and will help increase capacity for unions to raise community standards. Community Services is a means to help improve the lives of working families and the communities whereÂ they live and advocate to reduce workersâ€™ need for services by helping to ensure they can earn good wages and benefits in a secure community.
The Community Services goals include:
- Build Local Unions and Capacity for the Central Labor Council
- Establish and maintain an active Community Services Committee
- Conduct UCAN training â€“ recruit and train union community activists.
- Improve Support Systems, Public and Private, for Workers and Their Families so They Are Better Served
- Facilitate labor representation in community organizations
- Provide education and support for public policy campaigns
- Provide Services to Workers and Their Families
- Coordinate dislocated worker programs.
- Provide education and information on services, programs and issues.
- Provide Services to the Community
- Coordinate fundraising for United Way and disaster relief
- Coordinate volunteer recruitment, training and placement
- Improve the Social and Economic Conditions of Working Families to Reduce Their Need for Services and Assistance
- Support living wage campaigns.
- Promote economic development and job skills training.
There is a lot to do in our community and with your help we will make it a better place to live, work and raise our families. If you would like to get involved in this important program contact Mario Cervantes atÂ (316) 267-1321 orÂ mcervantesunitedwayplainsorg